Friday, December 02, 2005

Postcards from the cervix...

Well, I'm freaking out!!!

We had our DR appt this morning - a routine check up - but we knew that we were going to have the 'sweeping' thing done. Ya know, we read that it decreases the risk of an overdue pregnancy, and that some women actually go into labour that day as a result, but we figured that because we are only 37 weeks, it wouldn't do much today.

Nonetheless, the Doc did her thing, said Kim was 2 cm (she could fit in TWO fingers, and easily feel the babies head). Now kim, and that crazy cervix of hers started bleeding - which we expected. What we didn't expect was that the DR would be more freaked out than we would be.

I think I should also mention that my nerves are a little uneasy today because it is the worse weather we have had this season - let's just say that by the time i finished brushing the back of the car, i needed to do the front again...

So back to the Dr Appt... as we were walking out of the exam room, after the Dr left, she stopped us and informed kim that she would be checking up on her later because she was "freaked out". Apparently most women don't bleed as a result of the exam - but as expected with kim's cervix, it was no surprise. She (the Dr.) then continued to state that if she is still bleeding this afternoon, she may tell us to go to the hospital (and this is where the naive father-to-be-syndrome kicks in, and I think that we are going to the hospital to have it looked at - and ONLY to have it looked at) ... but no, she states "go to the hospital and have that baby!" - 'WHAT?' 'We're having a baby!!??!!! - But but but... huh?...

Now, I'll probably be reading this in 4 weeks (with no baby yet) and shaking my head thinking how crazy I was to think this, but as a first timer, I think i deserve some slack.

So I convinced kim to go home instead of work - can you believe her??? She was actually trying to convince me that she HAD to go to work - what a freak. I swear, she is going to be running pcr's while pushing.

So that's that... I'm at work (cause i used up all my holidays and sick days - boo!), waiting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home