Sunday, December 11, 2005

Postcard To Gordon...Week 1

Dear Gordon,

You are now 1 week old, and each and every day you continue to amaze me. I had expected some change in my life following your arrival, but I had no idea what type of change to expect, or the extent to which it would take place. I received warning from family, friends and other literature that life was never going to be the same, however these ‘warnings’ usually took on a negative connotation – a “Be Prepared” theme. I was led to believe that I would be complaining these first few months. What no one prepared me for however was the overwhelming positives that I have experienced. So many positives in fact that I can not find one detriment to the addition you have made to my life.

Gord, you are a gift… and like most gifts, the best ones are those you do not expect. When it comes to my experience with you so far, I did not expect this. I hope that some day you will understand the joy I have by simply holding you in my arms for hours on end, staring into your eyes, watching your facial twitches, and stroking your forehead while you sleep. An even bigger surprise to me is the fun I have doing the ‘chores’ – your burping, your diaper changes, and the midnight singing necessary to calm you down when needed.

You may say to me that every father feels this way, but I would have to disagree. The majority of fathers I have listened to, tend to focus on the benefits that come many months down the road – and while their points are valid, they leave the impression that the first few months are vacant of any true excitement. When it comes to you and I Gord, the moments we have shared together are priceless and truly meaningful.

I have to thank you Gordon. I thank you for making me appreciate life. I do not want this to become another cliché, but I didn’t know what life was until you began yours. I have enjoyed my life up to this point, but I can honestly say it was missing something. I attempted to fill that void and wasted a lot of time. The things that kept me occupied for years are now insignificant fillers, and distant memories. Old habits have died off, and I am left with an appreciation for things I never thought you would have an impact on. I appreciate the 24 hours in a day – I no longer live my life waiting for 5pm. The clock is no longer an anchor for me – which is one of the more unexpected revelations I have had. T.V is a crutch I’ve had for years - I have no need for artificial stimulant when I can watch you grow before my very eyes…you are my ultimate entertainment.

You have, and will continue to make me a better person. You are always on my mind, and I am so proud of you. For as long as I can remember, even before I knew where babies came from, I wanted you. Now you are here Son, and it blows my mind.

“I” was only waiting for this moment to arise…

I love you Blackbird

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home