Friday, December 23, 2005

Postcards from the inevitable...

Well, yesterday was Dave's (my bro-in-law's) birthday - 30! And with no insult intended to anyone of the age (or greater) - I have dreaded the day it's my turn for as long as I can remember. With a little over 3 years to go, I realize I may not hit my goal I set 15 years ago - Early Retirement!

Not so much of a goal to stop working, but more of a goal of financial and 'working for the man' freedom. 2 months ago I (along with my family and a friend/coworker) were well on our way until fate decided it wasn't what it had in store for me. This isn't a postcard about me griping and 'woe that things fell apart' - I have accepted it and moved on. But the point is, things don't always work out the way we expect - but sometimes for the better.

I'm a very strong believer that things happen for a reason. My whole life has been like that. I have example after example of how 'fate' (or whatever you want to call it) has punched me in the gut only to show me $20 on the ground when I buckle over in pain.

Earlier this week the movie 'The Family Man' with Nick Cage was on T.V - which we watched again, and I couldn't help but relate. I like to think that my non-billionaire success is withheld because I would lose everything I have now... and that is not something I would compromise.

Take the recent business venture I was embarking on. Had the parent company not put a hold on new distributorships (the same week we raised our financing, got the call center in place, the lease, etc), the first week of operation would be next week. Which means, I would be in collingwood 5 days a week for the next who knows how long, while my new son and wife are at home. Who knows what that would have been like. I would like to think that it would have ruined everything (helps me sleep at night and accept it all).

So I have Gord to thank for yet something else... and that is rearranging my goals. When I turn thirty, if my family is thriving and we have a (nice ha ha) roof over our heads, than I think I will have accomplished everything I wanted.

I'm still dreading the day - cause really who wants to be 30! But as I see in Dave, 30 may not be that bad - he has his career (and back in Ontario), new wife, and healthy family around him (and of course a beautiful and handsome new nephew)...if that's what 30 represents, bring it on.

2 Comments:

At Friday, December 23, 2005 11:07:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve,
Don't want to turn 30? Well I can tell you this. It's not a big deal. I don't feel 30 I just think it's what you make of it. It's a number and people are the ones who make a big deal for nothing. WhenI was turning 30 it seemed like everybody was making a big deal for what? reminding me that what? I'm 30 and still don't have a family, a carrer? To this day I don't thin age is a factor it's how you feel. The other day at my managers xmas party my store managers husband thought I was 15. That made my day. I guess I don't look 30 and that is all that counts.

 
At Thursday, December 29, 2005 11:58:00 p.m., Blogger Melinda said...

Hey Steve- I know this is an older entry, but I felt compelled to remind you that my boyfriend calls me "old lady" at 26...
I don't know how many people are where they thought they'd be ten years ago - I certainly didn't expect to be a broke student teacher living in Windsor with my boyfriend - What ever happened to my dream of selling fruit in the Bahamas???

I also wanted to mention that having known you for the last 12 years - and knowing about your billionaire plans - I think you're way richer than you ever planned on being.
I know that sounds cheesy, but I think you know what I mean :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home