Monday, December 19, 2005

Postcards from legitimate parenthood...

Well, our 'support' has picked up and moved on. We don't dare ask anyone else for help considering we sent our last support worker to the hospital!

Sunday night was our first official night as a family unit after my dad took my mom back to collingwood. I have to admit, I was nervous before the fact, not sure how we would make out. We both knew that we had Gord 100% taken care of, it was all the other things that we have relied on family to help us out with that made me a little nervous. I was surprised however that it was almost a weight off my shoulders when we first sat down, alone. When we had someone else here helping out, I always felt guilty that I was just hanging out with Gord and Kim, while someone else did the cleaning and cooking. I would ultimately get up and go assist. So I found myself more tired with someone else doing the majority of the work. When it was just kim, gord and I (and the dude), I was able to get things done on my schedule.

Our first family activity was an outing to M&M's. $160 later, our deep freeze is loaded and ready. Mmmm frozen ready to serve meals.... We then dropped in to our friends Kara and Scott to show them they are not the only ones who can have cute kids. They have twin boys just over 1 year - who we had the pleasure of spending an entire afternoon with just before Gordie came - I don't think I had one complete adult conversation that day as I was just enamoured with the preview of coming attractions.

The night continued fairly relaxed. We had decided to try the 'feed on demand' allowing all of us to possibly get more than 2 hours of consecutive sleep, but I guess we forgot to tell Gord that. He kept us on schedual, and when we wasn't feeding, was awake and swingin'. We decided that from now on, we were going to try and stimulate him for several hours before bed in hopes that he would tire himself out.

Nonetheless, we started our monday fairly rested. As I am now in charge of all things operational (non Gord related) I had my work cut out for me. With kim still in recovery mode, I went to work. I got into it over the phone with a manager at walmart, as they 'lost' my pictures that I uploaded Sunday evening (for 1 hour service). I offered to bring them a cd of the pics, if they could get the order done within an hour, but they said no. Now if I can go on a 'Dave' rant here - how does this make sense. They KNOW (as they have the record of my order, just not the files) that I placed an order sunday evening. 40+ people following that submitted orders. I offer to bring them the files on cd (as opposed to them calling their tech support to locate the files). All I ask is that the photo's be done within an hour (which is what I paid for anyhow) while I shop at their friggen store, and they say no, they can't 'bump' me to the front of the line - EVEN THOUGH I PLACED THE ORDER BEFORE ANY OTHERS. And why call it 1 HOUR PHOTO??? In the spirit of dave, the photoguy is going to get a digi cam right in the freakin' temple. An hour and a half later they call me to tell me that my pics will be ready in a half hour (ironically enough at the exact moment that I was uploading the pics to future shop).

So, I got the pics, spent another $160 at walmart on dried goods and household items (we are now prepared for the apocalypse), and came home to kim feeding Gord. I honestly don't think she stopped feeding him until 11:30 tonight. Seriously. Other than a brief moment to eat her dinner, she had him strapped to the boob all afternoon and evening. You wanna see kim wimper, tell her Gord is giving feeding cues.

Anyhow, another sleepless night of feeding and changing diapers awaits. I can't leave out the snorts, weezing and obnoxious nasal outbursts coming from the bassinet on my left (and some similar noises from the one my right). This kid definitely has some 'Grant' in him.

Cheers for now.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 20, 2005 1:06:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more I read the more I realize that maybe us having a kid is not a good thing. We both love our sleep and Dave if he doesn't get his sleep gets really sick, so that would leave me to do everything. I THINK NOT. Oh ya I do that now. So maybe we will have a kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home