Friday, December 30, 2005

Postcards from "Operation: Yay For Me"

...hmmm, where was I going with this?

Oh yeah, so Kim tells me that P. (the woman I interview with) had called and left a message for me. (Following her email, I sent back a quick reply requesting some follow up as to what the 'different' direction was - I was bothered that I still hadn't heard from her as of Wednesday). So I was relieved that she at least was following up with me. I have to admit though, the thought did cross my mind that perhaps the person they offered the job to turned it down - but I can say now that was not the case - but it did cross my mind. Really though, who is told they don't get the job, and then get an offer 4 days later...

Anyhow, quite intrigued, I quickly returned her call. When we finally got in touch, I thanked her for getting back to me, and she asked if she could speak frankly. She began to tell me why I did not get the job... Get this, remember that last minute hand off of the White Paper? Well, the national manager opened it, began to read it, was turned off by one of the very frank comments/observations made in it, and second guessed EVERYTHING we had talked about. Long and short of it, I had the job up to the moment I gave that paper. I shot myself in the foot. F*cking Harry screwed me again!!!! (He wrote the majority of the paper).

She went on to wiggle the knife that she just recently stuck in my gut by stating that I was always her number one choice, and that it's unfortunate that I gave them that - considering they did not ask for me to 'prepare' anything - as it made them start thinking of other objections to my successful fit. She went on to state (continuing to play with my emotions) that it was ultimately however her call - not his. I saw that as my chance - I sold like I never sold before. I went on to overcome the objections that were raised bla bla bla, and the call ended with her requesting to call me back after she called her boss with my 'explanations'.

5 minutes later, I get the call... Again, my emotions ripe, she states that he still does not believe that I would be the right fit - considering my previous 'VP' title and consulting background... no dice.

"A left, then a right, and oh, the finishing move - he's down for the count..."

"...But wait, the punch was below the belt, let's go to the judges for a final ruling..."

She reminds me that it is ultimately her call, she has always liked me, and "I don't normally do this, but I would like to make you an offer over the phone. "

Yay for me!!

She presented me a salary offer - I had to decline. I came back with an offer (after disclaiming I was not intending to shoot myself in the other foot) and we settled just under my counter offer. Job accepted!

So today, (2 days later), I quit my job, and had to go to toronto to sign some documents etc.

I also got the full scoop on my benefits/perks. I got a tablet pc. Very cool! Waiting on my phone, company credit card and I need to order my home/business line. (They also pay for my home internet). And tomorrow I am going to the dealership to test drive some cars. I need to choose between the G6 or the Impala. Suggestions/reviews??

This Monday, I'm off to San Diego for a week - sales conference etc. (Which kinda sucks, cause I don't want to leave Gordo - or Kim for that matter!!) But really, California, I'm not complaining.

So, I'm happy. I really wanted out of my job. Doug who I work(ed) with made the best comment i've heard so far... A job is like a relationship, it takes both parties to make it work. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Just because the girl (work) puts out (pays you a salary) doesn't make it a great relationship. There is more needed to be happy.

So that's that. Sorry, I know most read the posts for Gord, but a little me can't hurt. Speaking of the boy, he just finished a boob licking, and now it's daddy time!! (ha, not the boob licking part... I meant gord and daddy time, but.... hmmm....)

Cheers.

5 Comments:

At Friday, December 30, 2005 10:24:00 p.m., Blogger Melinda said...

YAY!!! I'm SO happy for you! I had a feeling that it was something like that. Either that or Gordie was gonna have a brother or sister ;P

Anyway - congratulations! You deserve it - and if Kim needs me next week, please let me know.

 
At Saturday, December 31, 2005 1:01:00 p.m., Blogger Dave said...

Hey Steve,

Congratulations on getting the job. Hope it works out for you. Still a bit confused about the whole "White Paper" thing, and who Harry is, but I'm used to being in the dark.

 
At Saturday, December 31, 2005 1:21:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Steve...
You will have to give me the full scoop next time we talk.
Sounds like you were ready to make a jump from your (old) job.

 
At Saturday, December 31, 2005 2:31:00 p.m., Blogger London Postmaster said...

Dave, the white paper was a document - really long essay - outlining 10 steps to doubling your sales (bla bla). It was primarily written by Harry (The A) in T&A.

Hope that clarifies.

 
At Saturday, December 31, 2005 2:57:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Steve,
I hope this job makes you happy. I know you were excited about that. I know how it is working and not happy. I love being a Paramedic so I can't wait to be back in the ambulance doing what I love to do. McDonald's is ok for now since I do have a Manager position and I am saving for the big screen tv we almost bought boxing day. Dave chickend out. Have fun in Cali. Say hi to kim and Gordi. Happy New Year.
Tam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home