Thursday, December 29, 2005

Postcards from... ooooh, can't say!

Oh I'm so excited!

In lieu of the fact that I haven't posted in a few days, I felt the need to do so. However, as 'Big Brother', or members of, may be monitoring, I can't exactly divulge why I am so excited. I will leave it as "Operation: Yay For Me".

Some may know already, and those who don't should read about it this weekend - as the 2005 mayhem will come to its climactic conclusion sometime in the next 24 hours. (For those that may know, please don't post any comments as I again refer to the 'Big Brother is watching'. I'm not paranoid, but rather careful.)

Anyhow, my life has taken a turn for the better, and it couldn't happen at a better time... Perhaps I can divulge a little of what's taken place over the last few weeks - as this shouldn't be too incriminating... and it will reveal why I am excited compared to the lowest of the low I felt this christmas...

As most may have read, I don't exactly enjoy where I work. Well, that's not entirely true. I really really enjoy 'WHERE' I work and 'WHO' I work with... I just don't enjoy everything else. The atmosphere and people I work with have made the job an absolute treat, and is the only reason I have not moved on. The part I don't like was referenced in the "Postcards From Work". Anyhow, as most people I work with, I am always on the lookout for new opportunities. Well, one day many weeks back, after being screwed for the umpteenth time at work, I came across a job posting. A sales rep role, for a company that is reputable, offered a very attractive remuneration package (Great Base, Greater Bonuses, Expense account, Company Car!!!) and the chance to be working from home when not on university campuses. It attracted me. Just for shits and giggles I sent off my resume - perhaps a mistake, perhaps not... anyhow, I got an email the following week requesting an interview. I hesitated before responding, but decided that keeping my options open was a good idea.

I went for the meeting, had a great time with the regional manager, and apparently impressed her. I was informed by her that I was a 'top' candidate and that I was going to be given a second interview. (This is where I started getting sucked in' - I got excited about the job, and was told I had a great opportunity to obtain the position). I was told that I should hear by the end of the week for a time and place. Well, almost 2 weeks went by before getting word that an interview was coming... 'stay tuned'. Well, the following week I was requested for a meeting. conveniently, I was on 'Parental Leave' so I was available without dodging work - this was the wednesday before Christmas.

I had built my hopes up (based on her earlier comment that I was a 'top candidate') which I really should not have done. When I got to the meeting, I realized there were 2 other candidates being interviewed. Not too shaken, I went through my meeting with the national manager and the manager I originally met with. Hard to judge his reactions, I asked my question: 'What do you see as any reasons for me not obtaining the position? - perceived weaknesses or obstacles I need to overcome?' She piped in and again stated I was a top choice, while he continued the sentiment that I had all the qualities they were looking for - and no weaknesses.

We finished up the meeting, and as I was packing up following our final farewell, I offered them a "White Paper" that I had compiled while at T&A last year. I filled out a short questionnaire that they requested, and I left being informed that I will hear from them by the end of the week - ie Dec 23rd.

Wednesday night came and went... Thursday came ... check my email... check my messages... and went... Friday came... check my email, check my email... called her requesting some information as I would like to notify my employer asap... the night came and went... I sent an email following up my phone request... Saturday, Christmas eve morning came... nothing...

Finally around 12:30 Christmas Eve, I see an Email.... heart pumping, breathing halted... I see in the gmail 'preview' the word "appreciated" ... and really, when is the word "appreciated" used other than to overcome the "YOU SUCK DUMBASS" that follows... sure shit, the email, in its entirety stated "We have decided to go in a different direction with the position. I appreciate the effort you put into the application." Dun dun dun... Merry Christmas!!!

So yeah, needless to say, I was not a happy camper. I tried (eventually successfully) to convince myself that it was not the right move for me, and that my current employer was A-OK.

So, Wednesday came, I returned to work with a refreshed attitude, ready to kick some ass... which didn't last long to be honest (Just kidding Big Brother - ha... ha... I, like, work...).

But, as most things in my life, when life kicks me in the gut, I open my eyes wide for any and all things around me... Wednesday 11:30am... phone rings, it's kim... she has news...

To be continued...

4 Comments:

At Thursday, December 29, 2005 1:02:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve,
How dare you just end it like that. I don't know when to call since don't want to disturb anybody and I'm working

 
At Thursday, December 29, 2005 7:23:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Tammy on this one!!! you know that i'm way too nosy to not be dying of curiousity now ;)

hope it's really good news man

 
At Friday, December 30, 2005 12:43:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy someone aggred(sorry french girl can't spell)with me. Thanks mel
Tam

 
At Friday, December 30, 2005 7:15:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurry up and post update PLEASE
Tam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home