Friday, December 23, 2005

Postcards from Pre-Christmas Madness!!!

(Insert mad scientist laugh here...)

Wow, December 23rd. With all the craziness hitting our household, it really does not feel like christmas. It has to do with a few things - the obvious being Gord, but also the fact that we received our presents from the major players in Santa's arena weeks ago. My folks got us our much needed deep freeze, and Kim's ma got us our front foyer furniture (mind you a little elf told me that there may be a present or two still comin' - as I giggle like a schoolgirl). But really, now that Gord is here, we don't count. Still on the present front, Kim and I have opted to pass on exchanging gifts as our 'gift' arrived December 3rd - (insert cheezy 'awe' here). (I'm sure your asking what's with the annoying/overdone 'insert blabla here' - I don't have an answer for you other than my two glasses of wine and the bitter mood I appear to be in).

So whether it be the lack of gifts or the additional human being living in my house, I just can't get into christmas. Perhaps the biggest reason is this is the first year that I'm not in Sudbury. I don't get to spend it with extended family - which to me, IS christmas. Presents aside, nothing screams christmas more than the parties that accompany it. It typically starts christmas eve - finger foods, talking music, travel, beverages and musings, and of course, punch .... mmm... punch - forget the finger foods. Christmas day in Skead has been a staple, and has brought some of the best christmas memories - mmm food... so much food. To finish the holiday festivities, is the notorious Boxing day boozing at Burnsies. That was closure to a great holiday - wine, rye, pictionary, Lyndsay's 'mystery' drinks, Paul getting some "I'm Stupid" sign on his back, the attack of the 'Kim's', Chris telling Kim (L.) how much she's always loved her, Burnie falling asleep, and someone (usually a Loney) throwing up somewhere. (ok, that last part was never the highlight of the evening - I always enjoyed the men kicking the girls asses in pictionary/cranium).

Having said that, with every good thing, it must someday come to an end...or at least be put on hold. Don't get me wrong - I am very excited that this christmas I am with my immediate (and new) family, the first year in our new home. I realize that things change, people get older, new people arrive, and it will eventually come full circle. Gord (and our other kids) will have their family over to our house, games, presents, and the boozing will continue... boy it must all be about the bozzing eh.

Well on that note, have a drink for me!

2 Comments:

At Friday, December 23, 2005 6:15:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spending Christmas with the extended family is Christmas eh? Well last year Dave and I got to come home for Christmas for the first time in 5 years and we loved every moment of it. It didn't go how we wanted since we couldn't spend it with everybody and we were disapointed. This year we are spending it the way we want. Well almost I wanted to stay here but then we changed our minds and we are going to Sudbury. This year will be the first that we are not stessed about who to see when to see them ect... The best part of it is that we will be able to go to my In law's for a little during the day and I have never in my 13 years with Dave been there on Christmas. Can't wait for that. Have a great Christmas and we will talk soon.

 
At Saturday, December 24, 2005 8:40:00 a.m., Blogger Dave said...

It takes a bit of an adjustment getting used to being away from family at the holidays. Tam and I had 5 years to learn that lesson. But...that's just the way life works. As the families get bigger and more spread out, it's harder for everyone to be there at the same time. So, you just have to make the best of what you've got.

And drink lots of booze.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home