Monday, January 23, 2006

Postcards from Sudbury...

Well, this weekend we introduced the world to Gordie... well, by "Introduced" I mean - "Let him sleep through" and by "World" I mean Sudbury.

More for our benefit of testing out the new car, we decided to venture to the great north. We left at 4am Friday. Gord slept most of the way. We made a feed stop in Cookstown, and arrived in Suds (The Valley more accurately) around 11:30am.

First stop - Gran's.

A diaper change, followed by some "Give me that baby - I need to hold that baby - I deserve to hold that baby - that baby wants to be in MY ARMS" requests. (Don't take this personal, this was a recurring theme everywhere we went - so this isn't a 'gran' specific label).

Observation: Kim and I don't matter anymore. We counted, and the quickest we got some form of acknowledgment was 25 seconds (after Gord's enthusiastic welcome).

I can't really tell you what took place for the majority of the day - I took a nap... and I'm sure you don't want to hear about my afternoon adventures as an astronaut!

When I did come back to earth, I do recall Gord being a tad fussy - with the new environment and all.

That night, after being awake from 11:30 to 9:30 (with a brief 25 minute break sometime while I was in orbit), we tried putting him down in the new crib. Well, he didn't like the strangeness about it, so we moved him to the bassinet.

New Experience Update: I finally feel like a dad. Sure, i've been a father, but now I'm a dad. Crazy moment - He was fussing in his bassinet, with fear in his eyes I might add, however, when I arrived and he looked up and saw my goofy face, his fears literally melted away. I picked him up, put him on my shoulder and he just looked deep into my eyes with a look that screamed "Ah, dad - I love you". He let out a big sigh, conked his head on my shoulder and took deep breaths until he fell asleep. It was the first time I felt not only acknowledged, but appreciated, and a protector of sorts. What a freakin' feeling. I stood there rocking him and making sure to engrave that feeling into my memory. It made my weekend.

So that night, he slept from 9:30 until 3:30 - when I got up to feed him the bottle that Kim so graciously pumped for me earlier. It was an uneventful feed and he went down quite easily from 4:30 until the morning.

Day 2: Great Grandma G's House

He was (in contrast to the pic) quite good, and happy to see his one and only great grandma.

Knowing that the weekend was busy, we arranged for family (and friends) to come by GGG's house. We got there around 1:30 and the company flowed in following.


Gord slept most of the time, but that didn't stop the onlookers or the now too familiar "Give me that baby - I need to hold that baby - I deserve to hold that baby - that baby wants to be in MY ARMS" requests.

We stayed for dinner with Great (and I use the term loosely - ha ha... Burn!) Uncle Rick and Great Aunt Barb. Gord, not being too wound up, had no problems that night and went down easily when we got back to Gran's around 9:30.

Day 3: Grampa and Granny

Knowing we were leaving that night, we packed up the car, and headed to Burnsie's.

We spent the day watching Gord. He was a little fussy so we caved, and decided to pull a Ronald Reagan (and worry about the consequences of our actions later) and introduced... duhn duhn duhn... The Soother.

Wow. That's all I'm going to say. Well, that and thank you Mr. Soother for your brilliant invention.


Once we gave him the sooce, we were able to just sit around with him, let everyone get their 'viewing' and enjoy some chit chat. (And a LOT of pics).

We left around 6ish (after a friggen massive buffet of food) with Tea in hand.

Uneventful ride home with a pit stop in Innisfill to see the basement and drop off a lamp thing. (The brief mention in this entry is exactly proportional to the size of visit).

We got in around 11:30 with Gord making it the entire 6 hours asleep.

Then there was The Dude... that's another story... Friggen cat I tell ya. (Where I cherish the moments being missed and acknowledged by my son - the cat is a different emotion all together.)

Went to bed (after a couple of attempts).

And that's that.

Cheers.

4 Comments:

At Monday, January 23, 2006 5:38:00 p.m., Blogger Burnie said...

And a great visit was had by all... Come back soon

 
At Monday, January 23, 2006 10:44:00 p.m., Blogger Tam's thoughts said...

what you do fly to london from Innisfil?
Tam

 
At Monday, January 23, 2006 10:48:00 p.m., Blogger London Postmaster said...

I think i was off by a half hour or so ... more like 12:15ish.

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:44:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a little better since you did leave after 10pm. I was going to say did you get any speeding tickets?
Tam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home