Friday, January 13, 2006

Postcards from the Emergency Room...


"If you're gonna hurl... Hurl into this!"

Well, another opening disclaimer - Gordie is fine!

Yesterday was a normal day, I went to campus to make some calls while kim stayed and did her thing with Gord. I got home around 3:30ish and went downstairs to my 'new' office (which I was going to post about - but this trumps - so you will hear about the all exciting desk assembly adventure later) to do some work. I was listening to some Hip (thanks Dave) thinking to myself, "I can't really hear what's going on upstairs - I hope Kim is smart enough to pound on the floor if she needs me." Well, she isn't.

Ironicly, moments later, faint in the background I hear "Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve" which of course sends my heart into my throat. I get upstairs and see the friggen panic look on her face, gord in the burp position crying, and blood on his blanket... "He's spitting up blood" she tells me." Holy F#&K!!!

I honestly didn't think it was anything serious, and had a hunch it was probably coming from Kim. We looked in his mouth for cuts, and kim expressed some milk to see if it was her, but nothing but milk. Nonetheless, she suggests we call the 'Infantline' - which I do. They of course in their infinite wisdom pass us off to the Children's Emerg. So off we go...

I think from now on, anytime I have to go to the Emergency room, I am going to pretend it is a problem with my son, cause there is NO waiting when it comes to babies. Within 5 minutes we had a doctor in our room checking things out. He ruled it was probably nothing, and to try feeding off the other breast only.

Now I'm not the Doctor, but I would think he should have thought about this - We suggested staying there for a feed, seeing what happens. He thought that was a good idea, and states that if there is a spit up, he can collect it and do an analysis on it. Again, not the Doctor here, but "Perhaps you can give us something to 'collect' the spit up in?? Egh Egh?" Another brilliant idea approved by the MD.

So, feeding ensued, he spit up only milk, and we were relatively relieved. We were not entirely relieved until 2am when Kim pumped from the 'affected breast' - and instead of milk - mmm blood. So we have our culprit.

Kim had been complaining of an apparent blocked duct for several days now - so it obviously progressed to something more serious. She has an appointment with Dr. S today, and is feeding only off the one breast for the time being.

So that's that.

Cheers.

3 Comments:

At Friday, January 13, 2006 7:16:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope things get better. I'm starting to think Gord like hospitals.
Tam

 
At Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:37:00 a.m., Blogger Melinda said...

Seriously you guys need to get a special pass or something for the hospital! I'm glad to hear everything's okay, and can't say how proud I am of the two of you for how well you've handled each of the difficult roadbloacks you've faced in the last couple of months. Scared or not - you're fantastic parents and your little one will always be lucky for that :)

btw - i'm never having children.

 
At Saturday, January 14, 2006 9:34:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel,
I used to say the same thing and now we are trying. Well I'll leave it to the big guy upstaires. If it's meant to be then we will have one if not I'm happy either way.
Tam
Kim and Steve give us a call someday. I did but kim had to feed so we will wait till you phone since I don't have good timing. Oh ya my grandpa's T.V finally went. So I beleive we are buying the T.V. Dave chickened out on on boxing day.
Tam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home