Thursday, January 05, 2006

Postcards from the morning after…

The title comes one day late – but only cause I didn’t get to post it…

Ugh…WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO I DRINK????

Laugh it up Burnie, and Mom, I don’t want to hear it… but boy do I hate hangovers. And as some of you have heard me say before – I didn’t really drink that much. I had five drinks… from 3 different sources mind you. I blame the CFO. How can I turn down a drink from the 800lb pit bull. The guy controls the budget, and when he’s buying drinks, I didn’t think it was a good idea to turn it down. Anyhow, in retrospect, it was worth the story, but oh my, did I want to die this morning – or kill myself more accurately – I was so pissed at myself.

Backing it up… Tuesday was the first full day of the conference. Things went well. The day went by quickly and was filled with product knowledge session after session. Lunch was really good – swordfish and rice medley and uuugh the best chocolate cheesecake I ever had. Following the day, we had ‘group’ dinners – meaning all the disciplines went out for dinner together. So ‘hardside’ my group went out to New York Max… good food, but better company and conversation. We were there from 6:30 until 11ish.

Following that, we came back to the hotel – there is a bar on the 40th floor that overlooks the ocean and harbour – good view. More conversation etc, and I called it a night around 1ish. Again, I didn’t think I drank that much, came back, ate some food from the mini bar and had a V8 and water. Well, first sign of trouble came 20 minutes later when I tried to fall asleep, and the mini bar snack were revisited – if you know what I’m saying! I quickly fell asleep as that remedied the spins.

I woke up at 7:30, thinking something wasn’t right. I was not terribly ill, but not feeling good. It went downhill from there. There is only so much ‘positive self talk’ one can do before it becomes sarcasm. I went down for breakfast and stuck with fruit. I wasn’t much of a conversationalist as it took all my concentration to stop the spins, and my stomach contents from making an appearance.

Immediately following breakfast, there was a US session hoopla, and again, I did everything I could to keep things down. Especially considering I was sitting RIGHT IN THE FRONT FRIGGEN ROW… with my boss next to me. Ugh. Anyhow, I made it through that – barely. I came up to my room for the 15 minutes between sessions where I tried a Red Bull energy drink… well 1 sip and I lost it… mmmm fruity.

The day progressed something like that with a nice 20 minute nap at lunch, and ending at 5pm. I went out for dinner with 2 other hardside reps, where I was encouraged to sample some of the local brew – but I stuck to my guns and opted for Pepsi.

It’s now 8:44pm and I am about to go to the poker game that starts at 9.

Cheers.

Thursday Morning update... I lost the poker!

4 Comments:

At Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:21:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Steve the only thing I can say is.....no wait, better not;)

And "no" thats not me you hear laughing..hehe..woops..!!!!

It must have been the swordfish, thats what I figure.
Sounds like your back on course now though..Thats good.
Hope your learning lots..

And I don't mean just at poker..;)

ttyl

 
At Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:49:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take it your getting as much fun in as possible.
Tam :)

 
At Friday, January 06, 2006 7:51:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel SOOOOOOOOOOO sorry for you, whaa whaa, poor honey partying it up too hard in sunny California with free drinks, good food and entertaining company :P

Nah, I have to admit I really do feel bad that you were sick, but MAN! Start learning from your mistakes will ya??! How many times are you going to relive this type of experience?

I almost had a nearly as bad nauseating experience that day too, but it wasn't the drink or the swordfish but rather, a dirty diaper from your dear son... ;)

Love ya, and take it easy from now on, you got some fun nights ahead of you when you get home! :)


Love Kim :)

 
At Friday, January 06, 2006 11:16:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

kim,
I'm thinking he enjoys it:) Just kidding. He did miss the family photo at my wedding because he was sick from the night before, or was that just an excuse to avoid the pic?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home