Friday, March 10, 2006

Postcards from a 'Grown Up'...

Whoa, is that kid tired!!!

... AND LOUD!

He got up from a 25 minute nap around 5:30, and then came the wailing. Probably the loudest and longest bout of crying I've heard yet. Nothing would soothe him.

When I picked him up from his crib and held him flush against me, I thought his diaper felt a little 'hard'... like a teenage boy in jogging pants (if you know what I mean). I thought the 'restriction' could be causing the discomfort, so I quickly un-taped his diaper to ensure he had the proper breathing room... turn my head for two seconds, and return to a massive wet spot all up the front and along his side. Soooo... Gordon still wailing, we decided to try giving him his bath. That didn't help with the crying - as it normally relaxes him.

I know it doesn't seem much to some people (especially those who had a colic baby), but 20 minutes of pure screaming is new to me, and whoa!! My body doesn't know how to deal with that. I break into an extreme hot flash everytime he cries really loud, and tonight I was on fire.

We then tried feeding him, and that soothed him. After the feed, he sat in his bouncy seat and I serenaded him with some guitar and piano. After about 45 minutes of that... the screaming returned. We could tell he was really tired, so I brought him up to bed - the screaming continued. Kim warmed a bottle, I had to 'tag' out as I was seriously about to combust. When the bottle was done, I fed him a couple ounces and he seemed alright. As soon as I put him in his crib however, "WHAAAAA!". Mom stepped in and rocked him to sleep. However when she tried putting him back in his crib - "WHAAAA!". Not for too long, before he cried himself to sleep with Kim's hand on his chest.

That was the same time I started this post. Shortly after, he started crying again, and it only took a gentle face rub to get him to sleep.

The kid was tired.

So now we sit, hoping he is down for his long (un-interrupted) sleep, and I write.

I was in windsor today. Kim brought Gord to her 'mommy group'. I came home for 3:30 as I had 2 conference calls - one of which I fell asleep near the end, and woke up to the 'Please hang up as your moderator has ended the call' repeating over and over. Hee hee.

So, Kim made a brownie last night. I have been requesting a brownie for quite some time, and it was nice to see that she finally came around to it. Once started though, it took a few days (literally). She started it the other night, but the brown sugar was SO hard that she needed to add a few things to it to get it soft enough to break without bending the knife. Then on day 2, she realized we didn't have eggs. Neither of us were up for running out to get some (plus we had to go out later), so the semi-started mixture sat in the fridge for a little longer. Finally - the brownies were made.

Where am I going with this you ask... well, the fact that I only had one piece last night, and was too full from lunch when I got home today to have a piece, sent kim into a fury... and for anyone who knows kim, that consisted of a slight whine, and a few arm hand gestures (nothing too serious). She basically accused me of asking for dessert, and not eating it... well, partly to satisfy her, and partly because I'm a grown up, and I can do things like this now... I had nothing but brownie for dinner tonight!


Kim had soup.

Cheers.

4 Comments:

At Saturday, March 11, 2006 12:35:00 a.m., Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said...

Hahaha, that's just great... Brownies for dinner, nothing beat's that! Being a grown up rules! lol ;) If you like peanut butter cookies, honestly try the recipe I have on my post, very easy, quick and very good! MMMmm, MMM, if so, lemme know what'cha think! Lata Folks!
P.S. I hope Gordon had a nice long sleep, and you guys too! hehe, BYE

 
At Saturday, March 11, 2006 7:41:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Kim makes fantastic brownies, so what"s with the fork and the KNIFE??????

 
At Saturday, March 11, 2006 4:05:00 p.m., Blogger London Postmaster said...

You can't eat dinner with your hands - utensils are a must!

Who is this 'anonymous' comment maker??

 
At Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:14:00 p.m., Blogger Melinda said...

Hey Steve - my birthday's coming up - maybe Kim can make me a dinner like that, it sure looked good ;)

Sounds like Gordie is learning he has a voice now...and a strong set of lungs. Ledawit wanted me to let you know that when the crying phase ends, he'll probably start the "Hey-I-can-scream-very-loud-wow-listen-to-me!" phase.

So glad i'm just an Auntie for now :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home