Saturday, April 08, 2006

Postcards From The Crib...

You may want to start here if you haven't read my earlier post.

Anyhow, after the horrific ordeal of trying to get him to bed last night, we figured we had until at least 1am, if not 3am until he woke next. Well... wrong! Kim went to bed at 9 (again, because she is not feeling too well), and I stayed up trying to salvage the fleeting vestiges of my Friday night. 11pm rolls around and the boy decides to wake up. This is the earliest he has woken up in a really long time. I tried to put him back to sleep, but he refused… so off to Kim we go. She feeds him, and I’m dreading the put down. To my surprise, he went down effortlessly. Yay!

The bonus of him waking up at 11pm, meant that he was good and full, so he decided to sleep until 4:45. This put down was not as easy. He was up and at it until 5:50 when he had enough of his own voice to take a nap. He slept until 6:25, and I had to grab him and bring him into our bed.

This is a habit we have been getting into lately – whether it is a good idea or not in the long run, it is working in the short run – so leave it alone. We laid him between our two pillows and we ‘cuddled’. He is actually a really good cuddler. I guess the up side of being a tad ‘spoiled’ is he likes the close contact. So he took a bit of a nap, but when I snorted (the early stages of snoring), it scared the crap out of him (as my nose was literally in his ear). His arms flailed, head jolted, and I new I just screwed myself. This was around 7. For the next half hour I tried very hard to get him back to sleep, all the while Kim was cursing under her breath, willing us with her mind to pick up and go down stairs. She got her wish when Gord projectile spit milk all over me and my side of the bed.

So, we came downstairs to more fun. He had filled his diaper while upstairs so I changed it. Of course, the only way to encourage more poop, is to provide a clean diaper. So, 5 minutes later, another diaper change. By 8am, he was getting drowsy, and the blue sky and sun were calling our name. I packed him up, and oh, do I wish it was as simple as it sounds – no! It is not. (I can hear Kim and all the other mothers right now laughing at me with that kind of ‘ha ha SEE what WE have to put up with ALL day… sucker!!!). So after a good while, trying to dress Gord, dress myself, keep Gord quiet so not to wake Kim, make some coffee and get the stroller out of the car, we were set. Not 3 minutes from the house, and Gord in his nasty new habit of not being able to fall asleep without a vocal workout, decided to give it a go.

3 minutes later we were back in the house. I really want to be a good neighbor, and thought I would do everyone a favour.

So, up to crib he goes, all the while I’m having vivid flashbacks to last night and feeling deep in my gut that this is not going to be easy. Sure enough, as soon as his head hits the crib, the wailing starts. It’s so frustrating, because you KNOW he is tired, but just can’t trust himself enough to keep quite and see what happens. Remembering what worked last night, I gave it a shot. WOW, it actually worked again. I think I might have to patent that little trick. I just stuck my head into the crib, cheek to cheek, whispered “It’s Ok” with my hand on his chest, and he was out like that.

“You Rock Superdad!!”

He has now been out for 25 minutes, which means I have at most 20 more before he wakes – because as mentioned way back, you can set your watch to this kid’s nap length. NEVER exceeds 45 minutes.

So, I better make use of this peace and quite… And yes Kim, yaddi yaddi, welcome to your world… bla bla bla.

Cheers.

3 Comments:

At Saturday, April 08, 2006 11:46:00 a.m., Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said...

I guess I should take advantage of the free time I have now while I can, because by the looks of it, the word free-time looses all meaning if it is uttered after the words, Im pregnant! lol No one said this job was easy, and if they did... turn around and ask the kid how they think their parents did - probably not well! You two are going to raise the bestest kidlet ever! :)

 
At Saturday, April 08, 2006 12:25:00 p.m., Blogger Tam's thoughts said...

I thnk I might have to stop reading your blog. It's scaring the crap out of me. To late to turn back now.

 
At Saturday, April 08, 2006 3:53:00 p.m., Blogger SeaJay said...

Despite Gordie's most valiant attempts at driving you both to drink (because that's a baby's job), I don't detect any serious note of complaint in your writing, Steve.
Your patient and gentle sense of humour (I mean both you & Kim's) will carry you guys through the most difficult days of parenthood... plus it's bound to rub off on little Gordie as he grows up.

Granny Chris :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home