Saturday, October 14, 2006

Postcards From a "Pop Up" Free Site...

Damn pop-ups!

I use Firefox, so I never noticed, however last night when we got to Sharon's place I was bombarded with Pop Up ads when I opened her Internet Explorer.

It drove me crazy.

Today, after setting her up on wireless (which is a WHOLE other story that I really don't have time to get into), I thought I would try and save her computer from these damn pop ups that would happen when Internet Explorer was opened.

I knew there must have been some spyware or something because the pop ups would happen on her homepage - which was this site.

So, I searched high and low on her PC for some spyware program etc. Nothing. I updated her Adaware program. Still getting the pop ups.

In the off chance it was my site, I changed her homepage to google. The pop ups stopped. Then I noticed on my latest postcard was a picture I 'borrowed' from a party site ("It's a Girl" balloon). I thought perhaps that image being loaded was somehow causing the pop ups. I took that image down.

Still getting pop ups.

After checking every post, I realized it was something in my template.

Long (and boring story) made short, it turned out to be my visitor thing that counted how many people were currently reading this site.

So, it's gone. No more pop ups. Sorry to anyone who was getting annoyed.

Cheers.

5 Comments:

At Saturday, October 14, 2006 2:44:00 p.m., Blogger Dave said...

Interesting. What counter were you using, Steve? I use SiteMeter.

 
At Saturday, October 14, 2006 7:47:00 p.m., Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said...

Why is this posted 3 times? are you really THAT sorry?? :P

 
At Sunday, October 15, 2006 6:38:00 a.m., Blogger Melinda said...

i too am wondering about the three-peated post, Steve...

btw - even with the popups, I still think firefox is better than internet explorer

hope all is well with everybody :)

 
At Sunday, October 15, 2006 7:47:00 p.m., Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said...

Unrelated topic - I heard from my friend Bobby (nephew of Nick Trefiak) that Nick just won a $125, 000 scholarship for school in Ottawa! I was drunk details are a blur, so in case you didn't hear - yay for Nick! :P

 
At Sunday, October 15, 2006 10:28:00 p.m., Blogger London Postmaster said...

Dave - it was a free script that was at the top of the page - it was the one that said "There are 2 Readers Reading This Page Right Now". It wasn't a stat/visitor counter. For that I use statcounter.com. It works well.

And wow. Yay for Nick indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home