Saturday, February 04, 2006

Postcard To Gordon...Month 2

Dear Gordon,

2 months since you flew in to this world butt first and perpetually changed our lives. I’ve had so much fun with you over this last month. You are really starting to pay attention to the world around you, and learn what life is all about. This month has brought with it a lot of new experiences and highlights for me as a father, and I thought I would share them with you. These are just a few of my favourite things from this past month…

- When Mom brings you down to my desk following your afternoon feeding and we play
- When you ‘pretend’ to be fussy in your crib and I come up to soothe you, and we just hang out together mesmerized by the illumination on the ceiling
- When you stop everything, bear down and grunt like theirs no tomorrow with no other care in the world other than getting that poop out – All your missing is your paper and a cup of coffee
- The ‘Burp and Spray’
- The ‘dead squirrel’ face when you fall asleep
- When you ‘talk’ with me before and during a diaper change
- The little smiles increasingly less rare that show up when I do just the right thing
- Your sneezes, especially when your little spray hits my face
- Putting you on my shoulder, whether to soothe, sleep, burp or hug – especially the hugs
- It’s worth mentioning twice – the hugs. Even though they are not quite reciprocated, I LOVE holding you on my shoulder while I wrap my arms all the way around your button butt and back
- Watching you learn and discover sights and sounds – I can just see your brain working out the circuits
- When you awake from a nap
- When I get home from being away for the day
- The dazed and confused ‘Whoa, what was that?’ face you get after a big burp
- Your yawns and little sighs that follow
- The joy of being able to soothe you, and rock you back to sleep and provide the security that you often seek

There are so many things that I love and cherish every day, but most importantly, I love that every day brings new things, new experiences and a whole lot of unknown. It has become very apparent to me this last month that you have your whole life ahead of you. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it is too grand a concept to put into any other words. There is so much life you have yet to live… and what excites me the most, is I plan on being there with you.

Love Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home