Saturday, February 25, 2006

Postcards from the Mall...

Well let me start of by debunking the myth... 'Chicks' don't flock towards you and crowd around when your alone with your baby. Let me though clarify the myth... Gord's not so much a 'chick magnet' as he is an 'old lady magnet' (and fellow bald old men who see an opportunity to make a comparison between their chrome-domes).

In case you hadn't figured it out, I took Gord to the mall today. Left 'mom' at home and the boys went out looking for trouble... and by trouble I mean 1) a noisy crowded environment where the crying and screaming of a child (if brought on) could be drowned out by the background noise, and at best 2) where the motion of the stroller and cozy confines of the car seat would keep baby asleep so we would not need to take advantage of #1.

Actually, Gord was great. He was awake most of the time, just looking around and being real cute. I thought I would be nice, and gave him an advance on his first 3 years of allowance - he bought himself some clothes, and had enough left over to by his dear old dad a few cd's... how sweet he is.

Ok, now that I'm a dad, I can rant about things that I never would have been able to before. In all reality, I probably did this myself when I was younger, but now I'm with child, so things have changed. But it really bothers me when people (and not just teenagers) who are perfectly able to walk, take up the elevator and people like us with strollers have to wait or squeeze so they can ride ONE FRIGGEN FLOOR... TAKE THE F*&KING STAIRS - actually it's not even stairs... it's a f*cking escalator you lazy bastards - (it's like that becel commercial where the two people are freaking out because they get stuck on the escalator in a power outage).

Being over that now and moving on, it is kind of funny how I'm now part of this elite club. I remember my Uncle Rick, when he used to ride a Harley, he would talk about this 'bond' among bikers - see someone else with a helmet, and you just nod or say 'hey'. Well it was like that today at the mall. I'm sure Kim and all you other parents out there already know about this, but no one told me. Being the first time out in public alone with the boy, it was quite neat. I'd come across other parents, and we would acknowledge each other, be courteous etc - an allegorical 'wink' both knowing exactly what each of us have gone through - the flying poop, the umpteen late night wakings, the living rooms cluttered with baby stuff, the spit ups, and all the other smells, sounds and sights that come with parenthood and having a little baby. We have gone through a right of passage. "We are 'Parent', Hear Us Yawn".

So now we're home, and he's mamma's boy again... and I get to look forward to another night on call - that is, unless Gord and I can think of another way to 'sour' the milk... mwa ha ha.

Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home