Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Postcards from Valentines Day... New Parent Style

Well, as a result of several factors - 1 being I was sick, the other being our 'babysitter' bailed due to poor driving conditions, we had postponed valentines day by 1 week... which made V-Day today!!

Backing the day up, I went to Wilfred Laurier to make some 'calls' in the morning... after being sick last week, and not getting out to campus much last week (I hope my bosses don't come across this site), I was not too motivated to do so this week - but I got out there in the best mind frame possible, all jazzed up ready to go, determined to knock on every door I came across... when I got to campus, I couldn't help but notice the tumble weeds... I have to walk across the campus to get to the buildings I need to be at, and I thought things seemed a little strange... when I got into the building, and in hindsight, I was surprised how many other scenarios rang through my head before the possibility emerged that it was 'reading/slack' week (i'm not going to lie, the movie '28 day's later' came to mind).... and after I thought about spring break, it was momentarily still only a possibility... anyhow, after being there for some time, I was able to make some headway as there were still a number of profs around...

I got home mid afternoon to see my Gordo awake and alert - playing with Grandma... aka the babysitter. She braved the roads yesterday and made it down without incident... which meant, we could have the valentines 'date' we were planning.

I Q'd some steaks and pork wrapped in more pork and we made use of the extra table in the downstairs rec-room in front of the fireplace... we had wine, food, more wine, dessert, I had more wine, (kim more dessert - ha just kidding - though I bet she wanted some hmm), and just chilled out in front of the fire... it was friggen awesome. We haven't had a chance to just relax like that in a long time. Well, disclaiming clarification - 'WE' haven't had a chance... I've done my fair share or 'chillin and relaxing' which I'm sure Kim would be more than happy to attest to (ie- san diego, windsor, friday night, etc...), but the collective 'we' have not had the chance to fully enjoy time. Even when we went out for dinner last month, there was a nagging urge to come home and 'parent'. But tonight, with my mom around (and the bottled milk to feed him), we were able to just relax.

Gord was great. He just hung out in his play pen most of the night. Now we're all in bed, and Gord is snoring... that kid makes soooo much noise when he sleeps - so many grunts, cahacks, snorts, squirts and 'etc etc'... he is still waking up at least once or twice between 10pm and 7am.

Kim has been trying to keep track of his sleeping habits... she started an excel spreadsheet with colour codes representing feeds, and sleep to try and determine any pattern (kinda the same concept as the one I set up for her the first week we brought Gord home, that was disregarded and forgot about, never to be used, like the countless other spreadsheets I've created to keep track of things for her during pregnancy and of late (like the food guide/nutrition, the gestational diabetes glucose intake, antibiotic/pain medication schedule, diaper change quantity/feed frequency, etc etc - but who's bitter? Not me !!).

Anyhow, it is a smart spreadsheet - with all the days side by side, and time on the y-axis, blocks of black, white and green allow patterns to emerge and start displaying Gord's daily rhythm... no real insight as of yet... except, he sync's up PERFECTLY with Pink Floyds 'Dark Side of the Moon'... freaky man...freaky...

Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home