Saturday, March 11, 2006

Postcards from a future 'Hockey Dad'...

Now I know he doesn't ACTUALLY understand what is going on, but humour me if you can... and I'm not exaggerating (for the record)...

He had another few very fussy episodes today, and starting around 6 we began his routine, slightly modified - feed, bath, feed, diaper change, sit/play, diaper change, sit/play, diaper change, feed. After that feed, our dinner was ready, and he was relatively calm.

We put him in his 'bouncy' seat, and had him facing us (at a slightly more than 90 degree angle away from the tv). Well, the Toronto hockey game starts, and it somehow caught his attention.

OK, you can spend the thousands of dollars (ok not thousands) on Baby Einstein DVD's and other 'attention grabber' videos, but while they are great in their own right, they lack one very important (and now obvious) feature... they're not hockey.

The kid was mesmerized. His head (due to the difficult angle) was cocked way left, so I turned the seat facing the tv. I haven't seen him so interested in anything since he discovered his (well, you know) - Thumb people!!! Thumb!

Like I disclaimed in the opening... I realize he doesn't know what is going on, or the finer details of the new NHL rules, but he would watch with such undivided attention, and when there would be action at the net, or a dramatic turnover, the kid would would jolt with vigor, arms flailing and a burst of baby babble.

Seriously.

Standard hockey puck movement - intently still...

Near goal - excited sports enthusiast...

We ended up watching the entire first period - then it was his bedtime.


Now I sit with a glass of wine, write, and about to read my new book.

Cheers.

2 Comments:

At Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:13:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I think he does understand what was going on-because he is so smart!!But, I really want to know what team he was cheering for!!!

 
At Sunday, March 12, 2006 1:37:00 p.m., Blogger Melinda said...

Oh wow Steve - you must be so proud of your little man - already smart enough to know that hockey's the best game around! Those pictures are fanastic! You should get one of those hockey picture frames for them.

I have to wonder though if we're going to have another Leafs fan... I guess I'll forgive him since he's so adorable :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home