Saturday, May 06, 2006

Postcards From The Hardened Coating That Has Been Secreted To Cover A Piece Of Sand That Has Worked Its Way Between An Oyster Shell, Spread...

So, the day started as usual… at 2:15 am with Gordon’s first wake up. It’s the weekend, which means that I’m on call, so off to grab him I went. Sometimes we luck out, and he goes back to sleep until 6 or 7… not today! He was up every hour until his official wake up at 6:10. We both tried really hard to be neglectful parents and just fall back asleep with him between us, but the amazing parents we are, we opted to start our day with Gord.

I had plans to take the boy out on the town while the wife stayed home and did some housework, but that didn’t materialize until a little later than expected.

This kid I tell ya… he KNOWS when you want to do something… Case in point: Last week, Kim decided for the first time in over a month to join up with the ‘mommies’ in her ‘mom’s group’ for the Thursday walk. The plan was to meet at 11 at Springbank Park. Well, knowing Gord’s sleep schedule, this wasn’t going to be a problem. Well, this day in particular the boy decided to take his (not an everyday thing) ‘long’ nap first thing in the morning. 2 and a half hours later he finally woke up just in time for Kim to make it to the park as the “Mom’s” were getting back to their cars!

So yes, today was another example of that. I had planned on taking him with me after his second nap, which today he decided was a good day for a long nap. It wasn’t all that bad, we ended up leaving the house at 2.

Our to do list:

Lawn Mower
Grass Seed
… that’s pretty much it.

BUT, I had planned on going to Canadian Tire, however when I got there, I realized that the store was closed! (It was moving to a new location – doh). So, I had to go to Sears. Ended up getting a good one nonetheless. And I was able to get the grass seed right there too (from the garden center).

Tangent:
It’s so funny to see people react to a baby in public. You can really tell who’s biological clock is ticking away. I pass a couple, and the girl will walk right passed us without batting an eye… but then there are some couples who walk by where the girl is compelled to ‘ooh’ and ‘ahh’ to the point where if the boyfriend/husband doesn’t look, she get’s pissed. …I like those ones best!

With mother’s day around the corner, I kept asking Gord what he wanted to get ‘mom’ for the big day, but he kept coming up with nuttin’, as though he had NO IDEA what I was talking about.

So… it was getting close to feeding time, so we headed home.

As I pull into the driveway, the radio guy starts talking about the Pearl Jam concert this week in T.O. He was starting to talk about a ticket giveaway, but I shut off the car. Then I realized that I left the sunroof open, so I put the keys back in. I get to hear the rest of this radio guy’s giveaway offer, and he is asking a trivia question… “What was Pearl Jam’s original name – named after a Basketball Player?”. Well, I thought I would give it a shot. You had to be caller number 9.

Digit Digit Digit, Digit Digit Digit Digit… Send – Busy Tone – End.

Send – Busy Tone – End.

Send – Ringing – ‘whao cool’, but was I going to be #9?

Ringing, Ringing, Ringing… Hello FM96?

Me: Yeah, I’m looking to be caller # 9…

Radio Guy: Who am I talking with?

Me – (Inner dialogue – SWEET!!): Steve

Radio Guy: What are you up to today Steve?

Me: Just doing some yard work.

Radio Guy: Yeah, it sure is a great day out there isn’t it?

Me: Yup.

Radio Guy: So, Steve, have you ever seen Pearl Jam before?

Me: Yup

Radio Guy: Oh, when was that?

Me: Back at Molson Park, when it was Molson Park.

Radio Guy: Wow, that was a long time ago, so you would be good to go for Wednesday night then…

Me: Yup

Radio Guy: So, what was Pearl Jam’s original name? Who were they named after?

Me: Well, it was number 10, and that’s why they have the album ‘TEN’… Mookie Blalock!

Radio Guy: Wow, and some extra info too! Congrat’s your going to see Pearl Jam!

Me: Fantastic!

So, yay for me!!! I’m going to see Pearl Jam on Wednesday. I didn’t even know they were playing. . .

I immediately grabbed Kim who was inside the house. (I was in the car this whole time), and I got her to sit in the car as I’m confirming my info, so she could hear my winning conversation played on the radio (as it was going to be played at the end of the next song).

She's happy, but jealous... she is unwilling on trying to pass Gord off on my sister, so she is not able to go. Gord, you owe Mom Pearl Jam tickets!

So, I called my sister who was more than willing on passing off her kid on Kim for the night.

So, that’s that… I’m going to see Pearl Jam. Kim is a great Mom…and Gord is in an odd habit of waking up every night 45 minutes after he goes down – as he did at 8pm tonight while writing this (and every night previous for the last few weeks).

Cheers.

5 Comments:

At Sunday, May 07, 2006 1:24:00 a.m., Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said...

WOW Steve, that's awesome! I'm totally jealous too! Tell Kim that if I were closer I would give her a hand with the kidlet for the night so she could go, or at least keep her company while you're gone rockin' out, lol. Hope you get to finish your lawn stuff, I know I didn't! :P G'night!
P.S./Tip: We had 4 raccoons in our tree last night (at least that's all I saw)so if you're ever out at night don't walk under the tree's, you just never know what might fall on you. I'll post pics tomorrow! :P

 
At Sunday, May 07, 2006 10:50:00 a.m., Blogger Tam's thoughts said...

Dave wanted to go to that. He keeps telling me that he's missed the concert. This one will be due to work. Maybe next time I'll surprise him with tickets.
Tam

 
At Sunday, May 07, 2006 1:32:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

K, TOTALLY happy for you but did I get this straight? Kim's not going because she doesn't want to leave Gord with your sis but now she's staying home AND your sis's kid will be staying with KIM? :P

You owe her a spa day. ;)

 
At Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:20:00 p.m., Blogger Kim said...

Ann, gotta clear this up...I'm not staying home because I don't trust Steve's sis, in fact, she loves Gord so much and is SO great with him. It's mainly due to the fact that he won't take a bottle very well anymore and the concert is in T.O. meaning we would be gone for a LONG time (in Gord time of course)... ;) But yes, very jealous indeed, with a capital V and a capital J. I mean, Pearl Jam for pete's sake!

 
At Wednesday, May 10, 2006 10:42:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course I knew it was something like that...teasing Steve is fun tho!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home