Saturday, November 11, 2006

Postcards From The Play Date...

Today Gord had a play date. Kind of a last minute thing, but Gord got to hang out with the 2 sons of some friends of ours. The one boy is the same age as Gord, while the older brother is 3. It was really fun to see them interact together. Gord had a lot of fun (based on the fact that we went almost 2 hours without whining, and even survived a few tumbles) - it really goes to show that he needs some more (age appropriate) toys at home... that or a big dog that is super friendly with kids. Gord would laugh into hysterics whenever she would come around, especially if she would get real close to him.

Seeing the other two boys playing and fighting really made me think about what the dynamic is going to be when (provided things go as planned) we have more kids. We have been talking for quite some time that we want 3, but I'm sure it will be something to re-evaluate after the second one shows up.

Having 3 kids is quite different than what we knew growing up, so we thought it would be an interesting dynamic for us. We would have nothing to compare it to, so every experience would be new. We aren't tempted to try and shape our family from a mold that only exists in our memories.

Some things will be unavoidable however as I'm sure we both want to introduce a few of the good moments and traditions we had growing up. Likewise, there are a few new traditions I'm sure we are going to start. While I am anxious to find out what they will be, I'm very careful not to spend too much time looking forward - I actually make it a point to avoid the "I'm looking forward to...". Kim and I have done a really good job of enjoying each and every stage with Gord, and even so we find ourselves realizing how quickly time passes.

We find ourselves already worrying about Gord out in the real world, raising his own family, living his own life. It makes us sad.

Speaking of sad... I'm tired and this took way to long to finish...


4 Comments:

At Sunday, November 12, 2006 5:35:00 a.m., Blogger Melinda said...

Steve - I know I don't comment on your blog very often (do read it daily though), but I needed to do so this time.

I'm not a parent, so I can't write this with the advantage of experience, but I know that with parents like you and Kim that Gord will be just fine. You two enjoy your son the way all parents should - it's inspiring to see and read about and I know when I have kids someday that I appreciate mine in the same way. Yep, time flies, but you are definitely making the most of it.

As for the worrying thing - my mother once said she'll worry about us until we're 50 (and probably even then), so I gues you're normal :)

cheers & have a great sunday

 
At Sunday, November 12, 2006 5:36:00 a.m., Blogger Melinda said...

geez even after proof-reading this comment, I still messed it up

I meant to say that I HOPE i remember to enjoy and appreciate my children the way you guys do

:)

 
At Sunday, November 12, 2006 6:50:00 a.m., Blogger London Postmaster said...

Thanks Mel. I'm sure you are right the first time (simply being sure you will enjoy and appreciate them). It's kind of hard not too if you start out with the kind of character you have... but first (and hopefully soon) you need to enjoy and appreciate that Jeremy fellow getting down on one knee... I would of thought for sure his having to leave you alone, with only the company of dashing single british gentlemen would have inspired a proposal... you know, there is nothing wrong with a woman asking a man to marry her... eh, eh, eh ...

 
At Sunday, November 12, 2006 4:13:00 p.m., Blogger BeechballBeatsCancer said...

hehe, cute. You and Kim are doing a fantastic job with Gordie, and I'm sure you'll keep it up even if you had 7 kids! :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home